Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Create your own Spring Wreath for Under Ten Dollars

In need of a new spring wreath, but don't feel like paying $30-40 dollars at your local craft shop?  I made the wreath below for $9 dollars using tools I had at home and a trip to the local Dollar Tree.


I need a large wreath for our front door so I picked an 18 inch willow wreath for the base.  I selected and purchased 2 clusters of dark green leaves, and 6 clusters of flowers (purple, white, and green).  The wreath base and flower clusters were only $1 each.  Other tools needed for making the wreath were a low temperature glue gun and wire cutters.   


Start by separating the stem of each flower or leaf group from the main stems.  This can be difficult due to the wire inside, so be sure to use wire cutters (this could ruin your favorite pair of scissors).  Once you separate all the leaves and flowers into single stems, you can begin assembling the wreath. 


I started by weaving the long stem of each leaf group into the actual wreath base (no glue needed).  I randomly distributed the leaves and made a few areas with thicker foliage.   Once all the dark green leaves were added, I started weaving in the flowers (see close up below of how I bent the stems around the branches of the wreath).


I added the flower groups randomly around the wreath, trying to distribute the colors evenly.  In order to have a full wreath with little base showing, I used all the flowers and leaves.  The glue gun was only used o secure any flowers or leaves that were astray. 


This project took about 1.5 hours to finish.  It was fun and easy.  This project can be completed by both beginners and seasoned crafters!  There are many wreath sizes out there, so be sure to estimate the amount of flowers and leaves needed for the size you choose.  If you are a beginner, why not try a smaller wreath base, once you get the hang of it, you can go wild.  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment